Pages

Friday, April 8, 2011

Thanksgiving for Valentine's Day

     As Thanksgiving Day approached Sparky decided it was time to plan a visit home. I suspected she was coming back to run a check on her mother's sanity; after all her area of expertise is working with developmentally disabled adults, and what appeared to her like a sudden foray into the fields of love after years of warning her off that beaten path made her worry that I might have misplaced my marbles. She chose the last week in February as her ETA. Les was looking into booking a flight back to me in mid January...
     During one particularly long phone call Les said thoughtfully, "Listen Jaq, I don't want to be away from you one more day than is really necessary but I've been thinking it might work better if I came back closer to the beginning of February and stayed through ohh, probably the 22nd of February. What do you think darling--will that work out all right for you?"
   Oh-My-Goddess!! My mind spun immediately to a February calendar and that one date that jumps out like a sore thumb for anyone not involved in a relationship--February 14th--the day for lovers......there is nothing like a universal day of hearts and flowers to remind all those single by chance or choice just how single and alone they really are. But Les wanted to move his return date to the the 22nd, a week past Valentine's Day. My heart leaped in my chest.
   "Oh Les! Oh Les!!" My voice rose half an octave in excitement.
   "What darling? What is it?"
   "OHH LES!"
   "What is it Jaq--tell me sweetheart--you can tell me anything. What's the matter darling?"
   "Valentine's Day!!!"
   "Oh you clever girl, you figured it out.
   "Oh Les! You are so romantic. I am pinching myself now--really I am--I cannot believe this is happening to me. You will be here for Valentine's Day--You want to be here for Valentine's Day! Can we go out to dinner?" I feel like a child meeting Santa Claus, The Easter Bunny, and the tooth Fairy all rolled in to one for the first time.
   "Of course we can darling. We can do anything you like--go out--stay in; whatever you want Jaq."
I can tell by the puzzled tone of his voice that Les is pleased but a little confused by my overwhelming response. I am dazzled and dizzy, and totally twitterpated all over again.  Every time I come back down to everyday reality, Dear Sir does or says something kind, affectionate, funny, or utterly romantic, and my heart, soul, and brain all take wing once more. If this keeps up I am going to have enroll in flight school and learn how to navigate at 30,000 feet.

From: Jaqueline Almdale
To: Les Biggs
Subject: February flight plans
Date: Mon 11/22/2010 8:32 PM (Tues 4:32 AM in England)
Hello love,
     I am so touched that you thought of being here for Valentine’s Day Les. I’ve never so much as received a card, candy—anything--for Valentine’s Day from man or boy before.
     I might have to work the second week you are here and a couple days while Sparky is here, but those few days won’t be too bad. And you will be here the first two days of her visit which gives Spark a chance to meet you and time for the three of us to spend together.
     I woke up to four inches of snow blanketing everything this morning and a calm windless sky shedding its lining like goose down. We are under a blizzard warning here since 2 pm and the University let folks leave early.
     Currently we have 8 inches of snow on the ground and rising, with high winds from the north drifting snow dangerously across the road. I arrived home just in time. Snow had drifted up the walk and obscured the first three step of the porch. I cannot lift a shovel because of my back but—a witch always has a broom handy!
     I swept out the driveway, the walkway, and the porch in order to get inside. That is the way of things on the Palouse where there are no trees and tall embankments to stop the wind from blowing and drifting the snow.
     This warning lasts through 10 am tomorrow morning so I will no doubt be unable to get out of the park much less get down the drift-closed road. That’s fine—me and Wee Man will be cozy. I’ll start a fire in the pellet stove, get a loaf of bread to rising, and make a pot of vegetable soup. I’ll sit in my jammies with my cuppa at the computer and remote into my work desktop and work from home.
All my love,
Your PeachXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

From: Les Biggs
To: Jaqueline Almdale
Subject: how long did we talk?
Date: Mon 11/22/2010 12:35 PM (4:35 PM in Pullman)
Hello gorgeous,
     Back on the boat Monday 2pm after a visit to the kids and a stop over to Amanda's to help her out with some interior redecorating work she needed doing.
     Fire lit first then a move back to Newbold for a meeting with myself to decide my next move. I feel so much to be part of you that i have to keep you informed of my every move, nice feeling, and any updates on OUR plans.
     WOW! did we really talk for 3.45hrs, it seemed like just an hour so easy is it to talk to you and that confirms how much we feel for each other. Gonna sign off now as it`s 8.30pm and i need to eat.
Love you always
LESXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

From: Jaqueline Almdale
To: Les Biggs
Subject: RE:  how long did we talk?
Date: Tue 11/23/2010 6:16 AM (2:32 PM in England)
     Good afternoon Les,
     Yes we really did talk for over three hours! I am always amazed at how quickly it seems to go--unlike the rest of my days and nights without you.
     Attached are highway cam pictures of the blizzard’s aftermath. Seattle, Tacoma, Vancouver, Washongton and Portland, Oregon have snow and in Seattle that pretty much shuts everything down as you will see from the pictures which I captured early this morning. The snow out in the lane is up to mid-tire on all the cars and no sign of snow plow out on the county road leading in to town so I am happily ensconced at home, pellet stove alight, bread rising, soup started, cuppa on the desk and getting ready to start work.
I love you,
Nanuq of the North XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

From: Les Biggs
To: Jaqueline Almdale
Subject: flights booked
Date: Wed 11/24/2010 4:52 AM (Tues 8:35 PM in Pullman)
Hi Peach,
    Got the pictures of the storm and all I can say is you keep it over there; England cannot handle it. We get a tiny bit of snow over here and everything comes to a halt. Flights booked...off to mail your discs now.
Love you lots and drive carefully in the snow.
LESXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

From: Jaqueline Almdale
To: Les Biggs
Subject:RE: flights booked
Date: Wed 11/24/2010 1:19 PM (9:19 PM in England)
Hello Love,
     I am stuck home today working again as it dropped to -20 last night and my car is frozen solid like a block of meat. I have a magnetic block engine and oil pan heater plugged in and sitting on it now. Hopefully it will thaw before spring! I need to get to the store for groceries, and the bank, etc.
     I just checked prices to mail perishable to the UK with a three day delivery time and Wow! Is it expensive. $120.00 for a box of cookies and a cake. I am so bummed. I really wanted to send a holiday package of homemade treats for you, the kids and the grandkids. So I guess no goodies from me till February. Bummer. Maybe I can put a care package together of chocolate Kahlua Bundt cake, and Angel Bars and you could take them back with you on the plane.
Love JaqXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

From: Les Biggs
To: Jaqueline Almdale
Subject: Happy Thanksgiving
Date: Thu 11/25/2010 4:37 PM (8:37 AM in Pullman)
Hi there little miss glowing star,
     I wish you a happy Thanksgiving and take pleasure that you are with friends and not alone.
Thinking of what you said about sitting around the table and each person telling what they give thanks for has got me thinking and now l have made my mind up what i would say. I am sending it to you through cyberspace and perhaps you could speak at the table in my absence.
     I give thanks to my parents for bringing me up in a way that made me what i am today because without the manners they instilled in me i would not have politely answered all the e mails i get via my blog and therefore would not have met you and fallen so crazy in love with you. I know Mum & Dad`s input was just a foundation but from that good start i am what i am today so thanks to them.
     Enjoy your evening and l`ll speak to you real soon.
Love LESXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

2 comments:

  1. Check your calendar baby there`s a Valentines day EVERY Feb 14 for the rest of our lives.XXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. SIGH!!!!! Followed by etc.etc.etc. if you were here or I were there. I love you Les Biggs.

    ReplyDelete