Pages

Monday, December 20, 2010

Turning the Wheel of the Year

     Winter Solstice, Dec. 21, 2010 offers a celestial sky show with a full moon and a full lunar eclipse at 29 degrees in the constellation Gemini, discernable in the Americas if the sky is clear. The eclipse will be visible after midnight PST, reaching it's maximum at 11:15 p.m. The last winter solstice eclipse was in 1638, and this one will be followed by the Ursid meteor shower.
     For those of us up reveling around bonfires and keeping  company with the longest night, a lunar eclipse is a very special event. To us the moon is the embodiment of the Goddess: Maiden, Mother, Crone. As one who celebrates holidays other than those found on the standard calendar, I wish everyone a Merry Solstice as the Goddess gives birth to the sun/son and we turn the wheel of the year once more towards the light.
Buffalo at Yellowstone © natgeographic
     This year I pay my respect to Pasowee--Buffalo Woman from the Kiowa tradition. She is a medicine woman, herbalist, and great healer. She received the sacred healing knowledge of Buffalo medicine for her tribe. Its hallmark is endurance. The crone's teepee is a place where light flourishes in the darkness, new life is protected, and inner growth and healing take place. Her time is winter when seeds lie dormant in the ground and there is opportunity for solitude and reflection.
     Tomorrow night my own tribe will gather and raise a cone of power. We will dance the spiral dance and look into one another's faces; we will turn the wheel of the year and rejoice: Light is returning even though this is the darkest hour. I will jump the bonfire for good health, love, and prosperity, and offer thanksgiving for the gift of friendship and laughter. These are the seeds I will sow this coming year. Happy Yule and Blessed Be.

10 comments:

  1. Greetings sister!
    I heard you were coming to the Solstice ritual. I remember the ones you priestessed for us in 1996 and 97. My heart is lifted to share sacred space with you.
    Blessed be,
    Turtle Woman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back to the circle Jaq. So glad your health is better. Witches heal and you are a role model for us all. Looking forward to jumping the fire with you tonight.
    Max and Star
    p.s. I hope you are bringing your homeade bread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey little Witch! Are you casting or calling a direction? Congrats on finding love! See you in the circle.
    Goddess blessings :)
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dan and Laurie PenderDecember 21, 2010 at 3:20 PM

    Grateful to read your moving story about recovering from cancer and finding love. It will be good to hear your voice in the circle tonight and see your beautiful, smiling eyes as we dance the spiral.
    Bright blessings,
    Dan and Laurie
    (Dragonheart and Madrone)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Turtlewoman,
    It was wonderful to be in your presence again. Thank you for the lovely gift. It has a special place on my altar.

    Max and Star,
    Thank you for your kind words. I finally felt like I earned the right to put that bumper sticker on my car: "Witches Heal." We cannot help heal others until we heal ourselves. :)

    Kat,
    As you know now I didn't plan this year's Winter Solstice ritual but I am avialable for spring equinox. It is always an honor to serve as a priestess to this community. It was great to see your face as we danced the spiral. You are a magnificent drummer!

    Dragon and Madrone,
    Last night felt like a big welcome home. I've missed being in the circle with all of you!

    Fighting cancer consumed my life for so long. It was a good teacher, offering me many gifts; with my mortality as a daily companion, I am deeply grateful to be in the land of the living; to love and to be loved by a good, wise, wonderful man.

    Last night's ritual was spectacular with the lunar eclipse. How lovely to be there to share it with all of you! May the blessings of the Goddess pass from the realm of ideas to inhabit the physical world.

    ...Merry meet and merry part, and merry meet again!
    Blessed Be
    Jaq
    (Dragonfly)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jaq,
    We saw you at the ritual but it was so crowded we never made our way 'round to catch up. You look great! Healthy and glowing. Max told us about your blog and several other people mentioned it too. We will be following along as things develop!
    Bright blessings for a healthy and happy New Year!
    Mollie and Ben

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jaqueline .. May all things bright and wonderful and magical follow you through this coming year. I can hardly wait for each new posting to read your words of wisdom and joy as you speak of your path and your dreams. Hugs Dragonfly, Karen B

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mama,
    I am sad I was nit able to there to turn the wheel with you. I do so miss that sense of community that I had growing up. I hope this new year brings you all your hearts desires.

    Love you to the moon and back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello my Sparkala,
    I missed you too--to La Bella Luna and back at the very least. It is a bittersweet thing to dance the spiral and miss the faces that aren't there anymore--and take notice of the new ones who fill the spaces and keep the dance alive.
    May the Goddess grant you joy in your bones, love in your heart, and someone special to fill your arms; may that promised luck appear mid summer and open wondrous new doors for you. See you in February my love.
    Momma

    ReplyDelete
  10. you should read caxtons blog possibly the best canal blog ever.They are never in the same area long unlike a lot of canal blogs

    ReplyDelete